Those arches belong to a magnificent building in Clonmel, which dates back more than 400 years. It’s called the Main Guard and was built by James Butler, the Duke of Ormond, in 1675 and served as a courthouse. Over time it was converted into shops, with a basement and additional floors added to it. Now it has been sensitively restored to it’s original state with it’s open arcade of sandstone columns. Architect Margaret Quinlan was commissioned by the Office of Public Works to provide a blueprint for the project. She was awarded a silver medal by The Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland for her dedication to the restoration of what is possibly one of the oldest surviving classical public buildings in Ireland.